Upon entering the PR world the question you might be asking yourself is, “How can I become successful?” The PR industry is always evolving and is a fast pace environment, so it’s your job to find your niche. Many people starting off know the industry isn’t easy but there are ways to get ahead! Here, I provided some tips on how to become/stay successful in the PR industry.
Do what comes naturally for you to stay organized, and make sure they work efficiently as possible. As a PR professional the last thing you need to do is let procrastination, or a schedule mix up get the best of you! There are applications, online platforms, and planners you can purchase to help you stay organized.
- WorkFlowy is a great way to stay organized. It gives you all the space you need to organize your schedule.
- EverNote gives you the option to write lists, collect all sorts of information, search information, and make presentations!
Stay on top of news:
Knowing the news is extremely important. Entertainment news is constantly updating, and your best bet is to set up news alerts. These alerts will get sent straight to your email, updating you on the newest music, entertainment scandal, pictures, and more.
- The Hollywood Reporter is a great example of an entertainment news website that keeps you up to date with breaking news.
- Feedly is another great news tool! It provides you with all the news you want to stay ahead of your competitors!
You can also listen to the radio and different podcasts to stay updated with industry news. Your resources for entertainment news are endless. In the end it’s just based on which you prefer.
Be active on social media:
Social media is a great tool, and if utilized right can be a component in your success. As a PR professional you’re first priority is your clients. However, your social media presence shouldn’t be compromised. Using different scheduling applications such as HootSuite, and TweetDeck are a great resource to have. These tools give you the option to create a Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn schedules for posts.
- HootSuite is a social media manager that let’s you link up your Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn onto one platform. It gives you the opportunity to schedule posts for all media outlets through one online platform.
- TweetDeck is strictly targeted to Twitter. It lets you organize, engage, and manage your twitter through one service.
Never stop being curious! The more you know than your competition the better. This will help you in the long run. It’s up to you to constantly learn different things about the industry to stay on top. Whether you have been in the industry for years or just starting out consider yourself a sponge.